- JUST FOR POSITION DO NOT DELETE
Record for the Old Drunkard’s Pavilion (Zuiweng ting ji) was written by Ouyang Xiu (1007–1072) while serving as the prefect of Chuzhou. As a student of Ouyang, Su Shi (1037–1101)—who adopted the calligraphic techniques of Yan Zhenqing (709–785)—wrote this work of large regular script (kai) calligraphy. Finally, in the sixth year (1091) of the Yuanyou reign (1086–1094), a stele was inscribed with the work and erected in the pavilion; the engraved calligraphy is a fine example of Su’s art. During the flourishing period of the Ming dynasty (1368–1644), the piece was popularly praised as a “composition by the Duke of Ou in the calligraphy of the Duke of Su that is truly not unworthy of the scenery of Chuzhou”. The original stele engraved during the Northern Song dynasty (960–1127) is now lost. This rubbing mounted in an album was made during the Ming dynasty and preserves the characters in the best condition at the time.
Translated and edited by Adam J. Ensign and Kang Xiaolu