- JUST FOR POSITION DO NOT DELETE
Image requests for research, academic publication, and/or commercial use
The Department of IT, Imaging, and Digital Media provides access to and publication-permission for images of objects in the Palace Museum’s collection. The Palace Museum only provides digital files; transparencies are no longer made available.
Images of Palace Museum objects are protected by copyright and all rights are reserved by the Museum. Images are licensed for a one-time use only. To publish images previously licensed for research purposes or to re-use images from another publication in any medium, please fill out the application form, provide a copy of the previous permission agreement, and reapply for image-use licenses.
1. Download and fill in the request form.
2. Confirm the image price-list.
3. Sign the "Contract for Use of Images of the Palace Museum" and send back. (Note: Hard copies of the licensing contract will be sent by post. Please send back the signed copies to the address listed below.)
4. Complete payment.
5. Download the images from The Palace Museum FTP Server or email attachment.
6. Receive hard copies of the licensing letter, contract, and invoice.
(Please plan your permission requests at least three months in advance as unforeseen setbacks could possibly arise and cause delays.)
Requests for photographic material must be submitted in clear writing by sending the completed Image Licensing Request Form with image sample(s) by email, fax, or mail to:
Department of IT, Imaging & Digital Media
The Palace Museum
4 Jingshan Qianjie, Dongcheng District
Beijing 100009, China
Tel: (8610) 8500‐7346
Fax: +86(10) 6528‐8401
Upon receipt of a written request, a thumbnail sample(s) of the requested image(s) and quotation of the fee will be sent for confirmation. As soon as the information concerning the image(s) requested is confirmed, a prepayment invoice will be sent by email. Payment must be made in advance by one of the following methods:
1. Check payable to The Palace Museum for full amount in US dollars,
2. Wire transfer to the Palace Museum’s account.
After receipt of payment, the image(s) will be sent within 7 working days. Requests for expedited services or waiver of prepayment will be reviewed on a per-case basis.
The Palace Museum can supply digital image files via a secure FTP site or email attachment.
1. The publication must include the complete credit line provided by the Palace Museum.
2. The applicant must provide, gratis, two copies of the publication to the Palace Museum, to the attention of the Department of IT, Imaging & Digital Media.
3. When placing an order, please provide as much information as possible about the work of art, such as the accession number, date, artist, title, medium, and about the image itself.
Delays may occur when applications are submitted with incomplete or incorrect information.
4. Please specify if only publication permission is requested.
5. The Palace Museum in its sole and absolute discretion reserves the right to deny permission to any applicant whose product is not acceptable to the Museum for any reason.
In-house Search Service
In-house image search facilities are available. For this service, please send an email in English or Chinese to the Department of IT, Imaging & Digital Media via email to make an appointment.